[column width=”1/1″ last=”true” title=”” title_type=”single” animation=”none” implicit=”true”]

Albuquerque New Mexico Family Immigration Lawyer 

Foreign nationals have the opportunity to lawfully obtain a green card, or permanent resident status, through the family-based immigration procedure.

To qualify for permanent residency, foreign citizens must have a relative who is either a United States citizen or permanent resident file a petition on their behalf.

Family Of Green Card Holders

Green card holders may petition for individual eligible family members to immigrate to the United States as permanent residents.

These include:

• Spouses

• Unmarried children under the age of 21

• Eligible unmarried children of any age

The application process will require a permanent resident to complete necessary paperwork and applications, as well as provide proof of status and familial relationship to the applicant.

You can complete the application Inside and Outside of the United States.

Family Of U.S. Citizens

Citizens of the United States may file petitions for eligible family members.

Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens do not have to wait for a visa to become available. Immediate relatives of U.S. citizens include:

• Spouses

• Children, unmarried and under the age of 21

• Parents

If a family member does not qualify as an immediate relative, U.S. citizens must use preference categories when filing for family-based immigration.

These preference categories also apply to relatives of green cardholders. 

The preference categories are as follows:

First Preference: Unmarried, children over age 21 of U.S. citizens

Second Preference (2A): Spouses and unmarried children under 21 of green cardholders

Second Preference (2B): Unmarried children of green cardholders

Third Preference: Married children of U.S. citizens

Fourth Preference: Siblings of U.S. citizens age 21 or older

Visas limited by the amount available for each category, the demand and supply of visa numbers, and the percentage of permissions available to a particular country.